Thursday 13 January 2011

Double Days

12/01/2011 - I need to increase the mileage I'm running.  OK, in principle not hard but in practice tough.  Mainly due to the whole load of decorating I need to do a.s.a.p.  As mentioned in the previous post I've been re-decorating the utility room and things are going well but it meant I only got one run in over the weekend.  So I decided that I'd double up on my runs where possible, doing two a day.  So I took my running gear to work for a lunchtime jaunt.

Lunchtime came and off to the ladies loo, sort of, actually to the shower next to the loo.  Funnily enough last year my mate got reported to security for using the ladies loo.  Well not him specifically but security sent out an email drop detailing that "A man was seen using" and carrying the warning "we frown on these things".   The "Man" in question was not actually using the ladies toilets but the shower room?  Only to get to the shower room you have to go through the door marked "Ladies" then you can either a) actually go through a second door into the ladies loo or b) take the door to the right mark "Shower".

So off to the shower room to change wondering if I'll get tackled by security and my name on the sex offenders register.  I get changed, dump my stuff at my desk, out through the security gates and I'm off leaving St Albans and down into Sandridge.  It's light rain which is not unpleasant, though I'm having to leap the odd puddle as I do a 3 mile loop.  I pass a number of people out walking their dogs all of which say hello (the people not the dogs).  One chap, as I run through a cemetery,  got the fright of his life as I overtook him with an "afternoon". Now there's a couple of nice pubs in Sandridge.  Quite hard running past and seeing people enjoying a beer without wondering how nice it would be to stop for one myself.  I managed to get past them and headed back into work, dry off, get changed and just time for some lunch.

Get home from work and had planned to go for another run.  Sadly it was raining, hard, and water had started to come through the roof of the utility room.  Bum.   So there I was in the dark on the slippy roof of the utility room laying down tarpaulin and holding it down with tins of paint and a damaged wheel that had come off my wifes car.  Then it's drying out the room, then the sopping wet me etc.   So it's rather late before I have the chance to get out but a runs a run and the lack of runs was making me feel like a caged hamster.  My wife says "take the key, I'm off to bed", and there's an explicit warning the gist of which is "wake me up and you die".  So I do a nice 5 miles and get home sopping wet, for the third time, but pleased that I'd got out.  One lesson learned though, don't wear the headtorch too tight as my forehead hurts 24 hours later.

Wet but happy
So I dry off and I'm ready for bed, except I'm not as I am reminded that I'm currently doing a "press-up" challenge.  I'm doing five sets of press-ups and sit-ups every night, increasing the number done by one each night until I reach 5 times 100.  It was 5 times 71 to do, that's in total 355 press-ups and 355 sit-ups. Sigh.  Why do I do these things?  Completed them then loped off to bed like Quasimodo with chronic piles. I'll be doing the same Friday with any luck except without the whole leaking roof thing and it'll be 5x73 press-ups/sit-ups by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment