Sunday 5 February 2012

Snow - yay!!

05/02/2012 - Sunday and we awoke to find the world outside our house was carpeted with a deep and even layer of snow. Brilliant. So it was on with the running gear, first run out with my new running gloves, and with a wave and promise from the family to avenge my death should I not return I was off. Through the village and as soon as possible it was off roading.

Start of the off road running.

Pretty soon I was deep in the virgin snow, running in an odd knee up high way as the snow was so deep. I was trying out some snow grips on my running shoes and they were proving to be a little too grippy. They allowed little movement in the snow and my lower legs and ankles were aching. Running along the side of the fields I eventually reached the entrance to the woods and before entering removed the grips and shoved them in my pocket.


Into the woods - beware the witches house !
I'm at the entrance to the woods so I take a breath, my lungs still suffering from the lung infection I'm recovering from, and set off again.


The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep. 


Through the woods and out the other side.

Through the woods.
 I case you are wondering all of these pictures are colour, they look black and white because there was no colour in the day. So after a while I'm out of the woods, a quick mile round a field (not really quick the snow here was about a foot deep so I was reduce to sort of bouncing along). Then it was back onto a pathway alongside the woods heading back towards the village.


Heading back.

Re-entering the village, and struggling with my fitness, I head for home and somehow manage to keep the legs moving even though I'm feeling pretty bushed. I see my house and slow to a stop at the front gate. Lovely run and I was a little sad that my fitness would not let me stay out longer. Oh well, still it was nice to be able to get out.

Nearly home.


2 comments:

  1. My partner has problems with snow grips (Yaktrax) but they suit my style of running - being a mid-foot striker - so I hardly know they're on my feet.
    Also, as I say in my Blog, digital cameras don't cope very well with snowy conditions.
    Nevertheless, it sounds like you were enjoying your snowy run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mr Runningfox. I've never had an issue running in snow with my usual running shoe but my wife got a pair of the grips to try. I just found they made my lower legs ache. Taking them off and running in just my usual runners solved the issue. I suspect if anything the grips were too grippy.

      But I did indeed enjoy my run. I took the pics with my mobile phone so were about as good as you'd expect.

      Delete